Greener Journal of Agricultural Sciences
Vol. 8(10), pp. 300-303, 2018
Copyright ©2018, the copyright of this article is retained by the author(s)
Evaluation of Adaptability and Improvement of Tef [Eragrostis Tef (Zucc.) Trotter] Varieties in Western Part of Ethiopia
Addisu, Dereje Jinfessa
Ethiopian Institute of Agricultural Research, Assosa Agricultural research Center, Plant Breeder.
Article No.: 102918052
Thirty six Tef varieties including local check were evaluated with the objective of Evaluation of Adaptability and Improvement of Tef [Eragrostis Tef (Zucc.) Trotter] in Western Part of Ethiopia during 2016/17 G.C cropping season at Assosa Agricultural Research Center, Tongo and Begi sub-site; Benishangul Gumuz Regional Sate of Ethiopia.
This trials were put into trial at Assosa Agricultural Research on station,Tongo and Begi sub-site. The trial was conducted in Randomized Complete Block Design with three replications. The size of the plot was 1.2m x 2m with gap of 1m between plot and 1.5m between blocks. Various character data were collected such as days to heading, days to maturity, above ground biomass, grain yield, and plant height and panicle length. Data was subjected to analysis of variance and there was highly significant difference (p<0.01) among the varieties and other agronomic traits. The combined analysis of variance indicated that there were highly significant yield difference between the local check and the released Tef varieties over three locations. Tseday, Boset, Simada, Amarach and Lakech gave the highest grain yield; 1892.1, 1752.5, 1709.7, 1664.5, and 1653 kg/ha respectively. Therefore, based on objectively measured traits (days to heading, days to maturity, above ground biomass, grain yield, plant height and panicle length), Tseday and Boset were recommended for wider cultivation in three locations of western part of Ethiopia while varieties Simada, Amarach and Lakech, showed specific adaptability.
Addisu Dereje Jinfessa
Keywords:Tef; Agricultural research; Grain yield; agronomic traits
Post-Publication Peer-review Rundown
View/get involved, click [Peer-review]
1. Assefa, K., Yu, J.-K., Zeid, M., Belay, G., Tefera, H., Sorrells, M. E., 2010, Breeding tef [Eragrostis tef (Zucc.) Trotter]: conventional and molecular approaches (review). Plant Breeding. doi:10.1111/j.1439–0523.2010.01782.
2. Hailu T, Seyfu K (2000) Production and Importance of tef in Ethiopia Agriculture. Tefera H, Belay G, Sorrels M (eds.), Narrowing the Rift: Tef research and development Proceedings of the International Workshop on Tef Genetics and Improvement, 16-19 October 2000, Addis Ababa, Ethiopia.
3. Central Statistic Authority (2003) urban bi-annual employment unemployment survey. 1st Year, Round 1.
4. Wondimu A, Mekbib F (2001) Utilization of tef in the Ethiopian diet. Tefera H,Belay G, Sorrells M (eds.), Narrowing the rift: Tef research and development.Proceedings of the International Workshop on Tef Genetics and Improvement, Debrezeit, Ethiopia, pp: 239-244)..
5. Central Statistic Authority (2014/15) Benishangul Regional State
6. National Meteorological Service Agency, 2010
7. Assosa Agricultural Research Center, 2007.
8. SAS institute (2002). SAS system for windows release 9.2 Inc, Cary, NC, USA.
9. Ashamo M, Belay G (2012) Genotype x Environment interaction analysis of Tef grown in southern Ethiopia using additive main effects and multiplicative interaction model. Journal of Biology Agriculture and Healthcare 2: 66-72.
10. Chondie YG, Bekele A (2017) adaptability evaluation and selection of improved Tef varieties in growing areas of southern Ethiopia. Hydrol Current Res 8: 266. doi: 10.4172/2157-7587.1000266.
Cite this Article: Addisu, D.J. (2018). Evaluation of Adaptability and Improvement of Tef [Eragrostis Tef (Zucc.) Trotter] Varieties in Western Part of Ethiopia. Greener Journal of Agricultural Sciences, 8(10), 300-303, http://doi.org/10.15580/GJAS.2018.10.102918052
Call for Articles/Books/Thesis
Call for Scholarly Articles
Authors from around the world are invited to send scholary articles that suits the scope of this journal. The journal is currently open to submissions and will process and publish articles daily, immediately they are ready.
The journal is centered on quality and goes about its processes in a very timely fashion. Seasoned editors/reviewers will be consulted to review each article(s), profer quality evaluations and polish the articles with expertise before publication.
Use our quick submit button to submit or simply send your article(s) as an e-mail attachment to email@example.com or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Call for Books
You are also invited to submit your books for online or print publication. We publish books related to all academic subject areas. Submit as an e-mail attachment to email@example.com.