Greener Journal of Biological Sciences

Excellence and Timeliness

  
  

Choose Language

Social


Greener Journal of  Biological Sciences Vol. 3 (10), pp. 350-356, December 2013.

 © 2011 Greener Journals

Research Paper

Manuscript Number: 102313920

 

Diversity and Condition Factor of Fish Species of Dadin Kowa Dam, Gombe State, Nigeria

 

*Nazeef S. and Abubakar U. M.

 

Department of Biological Sciences, Gombe State University, P. M. B. 127,

Gombe, Nigeria.

 

*Corresponding Author’s Email: snaxyph @ yahoo.com


Abstract:

The diversity and condition factor of fish species of Dadin Kowa Dam were studied over a period of six (6) months (February to July, 2013). Out of the fifteen fish species identified, family Mormyridae had the highest number of three (3) species, followed by families Bagridae and Characidae with two (2) species representing each. Hydrocynus brevis (family Characidae) ranked 22.14%, then Labeo senegalensis (family Cyprinidae), Mormyrus senegalensis (family Mormyridae), Schilbe mytus (family Schilbedae) with 17.40%, 17.01% and 13.05% of the total fish species identified. 60% of the fish species identified had their condition factors within the range of 0.1 to 1.0; whereas the remaining 40% of the fish had the condition factor greater than 1.0. Adequate measures need to be taken into account as most of the landed catches were juveniles and sub-adult which could render the water body less productive in a near future.

Keywords: Diversity, Condition factor, fish species, Dadin Kowa Dam.

Return to Content         View Reprint (PDF) (869KB)


Call for Papers/Books/Thesis

Call for Scholarly Articles


Authors from around the world are invited to send scholary articles that suits the scope of this journal. The journal is currently open to submissions and will process and publish articles monthly in two yearly issues.


The journal is centered on quality and goes about its processes in a very timely fashion. Seasoned editors/reviewers will be consulted to review each article(s), profer quality evaluations and polish the articles with expertise before publication.


Simply send your article(s) as an e-mail attachment to manuscripts@acad.gjournals.org or manuscripts.igj@gmail.com.


Call for Books


You are also invited to submit your books for online or print publication. We publish books related to all academic subject areas.    Submit as an e-mail attachment to books@journals.acadpub.online.


Call for Thesis

             



Search

Login Form

Other Journals


Newsletter


Sponsored