Greener Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials

Excellence and Timeliness

Change Language

Shuaibu et al

Greener Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials Vol. 1 (1), pp. 007-010, September 2013.

 ISSN: 2354-2284 

Research Paper

Manuscript Number: 080913828


Survey of the Incidence of TB Infection among Patients attending TBL of Gombe State Specialist Hospital, Gombe State Nigeria


*Shuaibu Isa1, Hauwa Ibrahim S.1, and Fatima Umar M.2,

Hauwa Sa’ad and Muhammad Maikudi U.


1Microbiology Department, Gombe State University, P.M.B 127, Gombe, Nigeria.

2Biochemistry Department, Gombe State University,P.M.B 127, Gombe,Nigeria.

3Biotechnology Department, Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola, Nigeria.


*Corresponding Author’s Email: shuaibuisa 2002 @, Tel: +2348065534951


This study was conducted on the incidence of tuberculosis among patients attending Tuberculosis Laborarory (TBL) of Gombe State Specialist Hospital Gombe. Three hundred (300) samples from 100 patients were collected in three phases as initial spot, morning and final spot, and were analysed for the presence of the tubercle bacilli. Of the 100 patients scrutinised, 55 were males and the remaining 45 were females. Out of the 55 males, 17(30.1%) were found to be positive for TB and the remaining 38(69.9%) were negative. For the females however, 8 (17.8%) were positive for TB while the remaining 37(82.2%) were negative. Of the 300 samples, 28(82.4) were found to be positive for TB in both spots (initial and final) while 16(94%) were found positive for morning spot. In all, males were having the higher incidence than their female’s counterparts (Stybio, 1986) because of the higher expossure and lesser hygienic condition than their female counterparts.

Keywords: Tuberculosis, tubercle bacilli, initial spot, morning spot and final spot.

Return to Content      View Reprint (PDF) (166KB)

Call for Paper/Books

Call for Scholarly Articles

Authors from around the world are invited to send scholary articles that suits the scope of this journal. The journal is currently open to submissions and will process and publish articles monthly in two yearly issues.

The journal is centered on quality and goes about its processes in a very timely fashion. Seasoned editors/reviewers will be consulted to review each article(s), profer quality evaluations and polish the articles with expertise before publication.

Simply send your article(s) as an e-mail attachment to or

Call for Books

You are also invited to submit your books for online or print publication. We publish books related to all academic subject areas.    Submit as an e-mail attachment to


Login Form

Other Journals