Greener Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials

Excellence and Timeliness

Change Language

Shu’aibu et al

Greener Journal of Microbiology and Antimicrobials Vol. 1 (1), pp. 011-015, September 2013.

 ISSN: 2354-2284  

Research Paper

Manuscript Number: 090913832

 

Prevalence and Antimicrobial Susceptibility Pattern of Uropathogenic Escherichia coliamong Adult Diabetic Patients Attending Federal Medical Centre Gombe, Gombe State Nigeria

 

Shu’aibu Isa*1, Mohammed Bello M.2, Fatima Umar M.3,

Abubakar Aisami3, Hadiza Auta3 and

Muhammad Maikudi U.4

 

1Department of Microbiology, Gombe State University, P.M.B. 127, Gombe, Gombe state, Nigeria.

2Department of Biological sciences, Gombe state University, Gombe.

3Department of Biochemistry, Gombe State University, Gombe.

4Department of Biotechnology, Modibbo Adama University of Technology, Yola.

 

*Correspondence Author’s Email: shuaibuisa 2002 @ gmail.com,


Abstract:

Two hundred urine samples were collected from patients attending diabetic clinic at the Federal Medical Centre Gombe (FMCG). The samples were cultured on nutrient agar and the isolates obtained were Gram-stained, subjected to biochemical tests to confirm their identities. All the 200 samples were found to contain Gram negative organisms. Of the 200 gram negative isolates obtained, 111(55.5%) were found to be positive for E. coli while the remaining, 89(44.5%) were found to be negative for E. coli but positive for other enteric gram negative rods(Enterobacteriaceae). Female diabetic patients recorded higher incidence of 85(77%) than their male counterparts of 26(23%). Antimicrobial susceptibility testing was carried out against the isolated E. coli using Kirby-Bauer (1966) method and shows the activity of only members of Aminoglycosides, streptomycin and Gentamycin as moderately sensitive and highly sensitive respectively. Other antibiotics proved inactive, to which the E. coli became resistant, and these include Septrin, chloramphenicol, quinolones (Sparfloxacin, ciprofloxacin, Peploxacin and Tarivid) and augmentin (Maxi high profile Gram negative antibiotics). 

Keywords: Uropathogenic, Escherichia coli, antimicrobial, susceptibility, antibiotics, diabetic.

Return to Content      View Reprint (PDF) (182KB)


Call for Paper/Books

Call for Scholarly Articles


Authors from around the world are invited to send scholary articles that suits the scope of this journal. The journal is currently open to submissions and will process and publish articles monthly in two yearly issues.


The journal is centered on quality and goes about its processes in a very timely fashion. Seasoned editors/reviewers will be consulted to review each article(s), profer quality evaluations and polish the articles with expertise before publication.


Simply send your article(s) as an e-mail attachment to gjma@acad.gjournals.org or manuscripts.igj@gmail.com.


Call for Books


You are also invited to submit your books for online or print publication. We publish books related to all academic subject areas.    Submit as an e-mail attachment to books@acad.gjournals.org.



Search

Login Form

Other Journals


Newsletters


Sponsored