Greener Journal of Physical Sciences

Open Access

Nyoni and Kaseke

Greener Journal of  Physical Sciences  Vol. 4 (1), pp. 007-012, January 2014.  

ISSN: 2276-7851 © 2011 Greener Journals

Research Paper

Manuscript Number: 1210131022

 

Assessing Water Availability in the Odzi Sub-Catchment of Zimbabwe using T.B. Mitchell’s Yield Estimation Method

 

Kosamu Nyoni*, Evans Kaseke

 

Faculty of Agriculture and Natural Sciences, Great Zimbabwe University, Zimbabwe.

 

*Corresponding Author’s Email: elijahnyoni@yahoo.com


Abstract:

Climate change influences water availability by either increasing or decreasing rainfall and mean annual runoff. This study investigates available water resources of a selected micro catchment of the Odzi sub catchment. It specifically investigates the present commitment levels of available water resources in the sub catchment. Results show that the study area catchment size is about 7% that of Save catchment, yet the net contribution of the yield is about 59% that of Save catchment. This shows that the greatest amount of rainfall most probably falls in this part of the Save catchment. Results also show that the micro catchment has the capacity to supply 433832 people with water for basic human needs as well as for growing food per annum. However, the estimated number of people in the micro catchment is 33409. This means that the amount of committed water is 7.7% of the total available water in the micro catchment. This leaves 92.3% being uncommitted. There is, thus no water scarcity in the micro catchment. In this case, water availability is much higher than demand; the opportunity cost of the water will fall to the next best type of use. Therefore, under such a scenario, inter basin transfers are very possible.
 
Keywords: climate change, rainfall, runoff, trend analysis, catchment yield, water resources, water availability.

Return to Content   View Reprint (PDF) (411KB)