Greener Journal of Social Sciences

Excellence and Timeliness

  
  

Choose Language

Newletter


Ajaero et al

Greener Journal of  Social Sciences Vol. 3 (5), pp. 286-291, May 2013

  ISSN: 2276-7800 © 2011 GJSS

Research Paper

An Analysis of the Factors of Agricultural Potentials and Sustainability in Adani, Nigeria

 

Chukwuedozie K. Ajaero*, Lilian C. Mba and Charles Okeke

 

Department of Geography, University of Nigeria, Nsukka.

 

*Correspondence Author: ajaerock @ yahoo. com


Abstract:

This study is aimed at examining the physical and socioeconomic factors that influence agricultural productivity and sustainability in Adani, Nigeria. Household interviews on agricultural potentials and sustainability of the study area were randomly conducted on 240 households in the study area. Furthermore, soil samples were collected at depths of between 10 to 30 cm while rainfall data was obtained from the Center for Basic Space Science University of Nigeria, Nsukka. Descriptive statistics are used to analyze the rainfall characteristics while the Principal Component Analysis (PCA) was used to analyze the socioeconomic factors of agricultural productivity and sustainability. Furthermore, the soil samples were analyzed to determine the particle size and soil types. The results showed that the soil in the study area is generally sandy clay and the rainfall intensity is 42.63mm/yr. Finally, PCA reduced socioeconomic factors to three underlying components that together account for 76.44% of the cumulative variance thus leaving 23.56% of the total variance unexplained due to other factors. The components are access to agricultural capital, availability of motivated agricultural workforce and provision of infrastructural facilities.

Keywords: Adani Town, Agricultural; Nigeria; Factors; Potentials; Sustainability

Return to Content       View Reprint (PDF) (190KB)


Call for Papers/Books/Thesis

Call for Scholarly Articles


Authors from around the world are invited to send scholary articles that suits the scope of this journal. The journal is currently open to submissions and will process articles promptly and publish ready articles daily in each current issue.


The journal is centered on quality and goes about its processes in a very timely fashion. Seasoned editors/reviewers will be consulted to review each article(s), profer quality evaluations and polish the articles with expertise before publication.


Simply send your article(s) as an e-mail attachment to gjss@acad.gjournals.org or manuscripts.igj@gmail.com.




Search

Login Form

Other Journals


Sponsored